Translate

Monday, March 31, 2014

Week #75: Tamaulipas 1.1 - XIII - Week 19

This week was a pretty good, and pretty full week. On Monday I wrote home, and as I said last week, I stayed in my area and my companion Elder Carbajal went to a different area. He ended up going to Apodaca 1.1, which is a HUGE ward, with 6 missionaries, but his area is still bigger than our whole ward. He says he´s going to spend a ton in travel costs.

In the transfer meeting they announced that I would continue as the District Leader in Tamaulipas, that my new district would just include our ward, and that I would be training again. I was pretty excited. I also had pretty high hopes to have an American companion for the first time. I was hopeful. My Distirct is the following: Tamaulipas 1.1 (me and my companion), Tamaulipas 1.2 (Elder Bautista and Elder Redford), and Tamaulipas 1.3 (Hermana Perez and Hermana Bazan). It´s been pretty good. I feel good about having sisters in this part of the ward - they should be able to do a lot of good, and a lot of work.

So, the moment came to find out who my new companion would be... and I guessed it right. We were looking at the new Elders, and I thought "Maybe it´ll be that one," and it was! My new companion is Elder Bradley Anderson from the Los Angeles area in California. We´ve been getting along pretty well so far actually, with some of the same interests and chatting. One thing I miss though it speaking more Spanish. I hope that my Spanish doesn´t get worse from not speaking it enough. We actually should speak a lot more Spanish than we are. We´re going to be improving that. But, it´s been good.

We´ve had a pretty good week. We´re going to have to work a whole lot better, and a whole lot harder, and have a whole lot more faith, but we will see miracles, and baptisms. This week we got 7 new investigators, and 5 of them accepted baptismal dates (the other 2 we didn´t invite...), and it´s been good. We hope to help them make it all the way to the waters of baptism, and ultimately to the Temple.

One thing that has helped us a lot is contacting more people in the street, or as we ask for somebody at doorways of addresses we´ve been given, we contact them too. We ended the week with a total of 80 contacts, with 7 new investigators (from contacts or referrals from contacts), and 5 new baptismal dates. We´re going to be working really hard this week to get moving forward, and Elder Anderson is helping push my forward. He has some great ideas and excitement to contact and work hard, which is something I wanted in my new companion. It´s going to be a good transfer. His Spanish is already improving too.

On Saturday we had the Special Conference with Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and it was really good. Elder Tad R. Callister of the Presidency of the Seventy, and Elder Daniel L. Johnson of the Seventy also spoke. It was a really good meeting.

Elder Cook spoke about having faith, loving all people, having a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and moving forward with strength and faith, invoking a special blessing upon us: "...you will be able to help the Lord establish His Church here... have a positive spirit... some of you may have been discouraged... I invoke a special blessing upon you... understanding from this day in your heart... what you are doing is more important than anything else... Some worry... [that they are] not capable enough... none of us [General Authorities] feel capable enough... don´t let that impede your progress... you are every bit capable enough to be the servant of the Savior..." He said other words too, but that´s what I´ll share here. He mentioned about success in the field in what we are becoming, and I liked that.

Elder Callister spoke before Elder Cook, and he talked about the Atonement and how we can access its power. It was a good talk too.

Elder Johnson is the Area President here, and he talked about working with the members. A promise he made to us came true that very night. He said that we should trust in the fact that the Holy Ghost will bring names to the minds of the members, and it totally happened that night, and it was really cool.

I think I´ll wrap up the email for now. We´re going to leave in about 20 minutes to go eat, and I´ve still got to write President Bird. I love you all and wish you well! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment