Translate

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Week #54: Guadalupe (La Oficina) - 10

Another week has come and gone, and it´s been a pretty good one. It´s actually been of a week of "course adjustment" and repentance in some ways. Last week I was definitely feeling a bit down and not happy or super peaceful when it was time to be emailing, but right now I´m feeling better in general. Some of this has to do with the "course adjustment" I mentioned earlier. Being an office Elder (est. March 5th, 2013) puts me in front of a computer screen five days out of seven. Well, during many of these days, I´ve found time to go to the Church website and be studing different topics, themes, and other things like that, instead of dedicating 100% of my time to the office things that I need to be doing. Everything worked out fine, I got the stuff done, but it wasn´t the best use of my time by any means. So, I needed to correct that.

During one of my night-time prayers, I made a commitment with Heavenly Father that I would not study ever again during the office hours, for as long as He sees fit to have me in the offices. Since that prayer, I´ve been using my office time a whole lot better, and I feel less stress in the offices too, and in life in general. I´ve been more focused during my normal studies too on what I should be doing as a missionary and helping my investigators, and it´s been a good change. It was a necessary change.

Also, this will help me be ready for that future day when I am no longer an "Office Elder," and that day is fast approaching. By the time I write again I´ll be a day short of eight months as a Secretary. Sure, I´ve been in two areas, in three different positions, with two different Mission Presidents, and three different office rooms, (that list just tells you how long eight months is, doesn´t it?) and it´s been pretty great, but it´s been a long while. I feel kind of ready to move on to more "normal" things.

The Lord has been good to me. He has answered my prayers - sometimes He has answered within minutes. I have been greatly blessed being here in the offices, and there are still blessings that remain for me to tap into and receive, however long He leaves me here. In the meantime, i´ve got to work.

This week we had a ton of baptismal dates fall through (because they didn´t go to church). We started Sunday with like 8 or 9 people, and we ended with 2, but that´s how it is sometimes.

We also lost Julio as an investigator. He wasn´t fulfilling his commitments, so we told him: "Okay. If you don´t read before Saturday at 6:00pm when we come by, we won´t take you to Church this Sunday. Is that fair?" He agreed. So, when he didn´t read, we didn´t go pick him up, and we told him we weren´t going to come. We did, however, set an appointment for Tuesday to see him again. Between these times, we decided to go ahead and read with him, since it´s really hard for him to do it alone. When we get to his house, he tells us "Ya no vegan. No vinieron por mi el domingo." (Don´t come anymore. You didn´t come for me on Sunday." And we tried to talk to him a bit, but he was done. So... We lost him.

The rest of the week was pretty normal overall. Doing secretary stuff. Teaching lessons. Going to Church (it was nice this week; we got to patake of the Sacrament for the first time since before General Conference), that was good.

Well, I guess that´s it up to today. This morning we went to the Temple, then came back here to do some stuff in the office we needed to do, then we went to a museum, then came back here to write. So, that´s my life right now. We´ll see what happens next.

Take care all, and have a great week!

Love, Elder Izak Thomas Erekson

No comments:

Post a Comment