Translate

Friday, October 25, 2013

Week #53: Guadalupe (La Oficina) - 9

This past week I hit my 1-year mark as a missionary of Jesus Christ. It was a pretty normal day overall, but I was able to finish my second six-month journal, and I finished reading the Book of Mormon all the way through (I´m not the fastest reader, so I felt good about reading it this year) and I´ve started it again.

I´ve learned some cool stuff about the Book of Mormon this first year, and already starting the second year I´ve learned more. The Book of Mormon is a great book, with a clear message and spiritual power to witness the truth unto us. I need to remember that and really treasure and use the Book of Mormon the most that I can, in my studies and in the lessons too.

The first year of my mission was a good one. I was able to receive a stronger testimony of many parts of the Gospel, a greater understanding, and I feel good about my service. I have plenty of room to improve on, but I´ve got about a year to work on that. There isn´t a better day than today to start improving, overcoming weaknesses and challenges, and becoming a better person. Right now I need to focus more on the work, doing my job, strengthening my faith in order to help others with theirs, and becoming more Christlike.

So, as far as the new family we met last week, we had a bit of a bump in the road yesterday. We went to have our lesson with them, and the father told us there had been a change of plans. His father-in-law didn´t like that they had people over to the house (it´s his house that we visited them in), and we were told that we were kind, that they liked the message, but that we could not continue visiting them there. We chatted for a little bit, and we might start seeing them in the chapel, or the missionaries where their house is might start seeing them. For right now, we´ll just have to see what happens.

We went with a past investigator this week and we invited her to be baptized. She accepted, but we´ll have to keep working hard to help her understand the message and the Book of Mormon, along with going to Church. She said she was going to come, but did not this week. We have a lot of investigators with baptismal dates, but helping them attend Church and progress is our challenge.

It´s starting to get colder now, and darker earlier. We wake up in the mornings or at night now, and it´s cold. So, that´s cool. It was like that when I got here in January, so that should be what I´ve got to look forward to for the next few months, until it gets really hot again. But, it was a pretty nice climate for a while this week.

Elder Quevedo got a pretty good photo of me in my new suit on my year-mark day, but I think it´s a bit blurry. If it´s not any good for a portarit, Mom, let me know and we´ll get a new one. I realized after the fact that it looked a bit blurry, so that´s not good. I´m sorry if it´s too blurry, and I´ll definitely get a new email.

What else can I talk about? I feel a bit tired mentally and physically right now. I need to get some more energy, pray to the Lord for His help and comfort and strength. I know that the Lord loves us and helps us. He is there to help us with what we need to do, and has great patience with us in our weakness. We should always trust in the Lord. With Him at our side, we can do all things, "...for I know that the Lord provideth a way..." (1 Nephi 3:7).

I think that something which I need to do is look back at old journals and reflect on some great spiritual experiences which I have had as a missionary. That can help me get the energy I need. I invite all of you to read back in your journals, emails, or whatever it be that has your great spiritual moments, and to reflect upon them; thank the Lord for these moments, and remember these "Holy Places" as Sister Ann M. Dibb called these moments in our lives, and "be not moved" (Doctrine and Covenants, section 115). The Lord will help us remember His love when we need it most, which is always. Please remember me in your prayers, and I´ll pray for you as well.

Have a great week, and be strong! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment