Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Week #23: Laureles (La Oficina) - 3

Dear family and friends,

Hmm... Where to begin?

Well, this week was pretty hot. Like, every single day of the week was pretty sunny and hot except for Wednesday (which was rainy and wet). Today it seems pretty normal, but the computer and people both have said that we will be receiving rain. So, that´ll be a nice change from the sun (although we´ll get wet). I got to wear Dad´s trenchcoat for the first time in a few weeks, so that´s good.

This week we had another good experience of being led by the Spirit, and that there are no consequences. The experience goes as follows:

A few weeks back Elder Capiz and I went to visit a woman who is caring for her son. He had some kind of accident, and lost a lot of the strength and ability to move which he once had, but he´s recovering bit by bit. Anyway, we visited them a while back, and one night I had the feeling that we should visit them, and I noted them a few times in my "agenda" - I forgot the word in English... It´s "planner." Anyway, I felt to write them down, and suggested that we go visit them to Elder Capiz. We put them as a back-up plan for an investigator, and went about our day. That day we were searching for some former investigators, and we stopped by one home and talked to a woman who was not very intersted. Her husband was not there, and I think we were maybe going to visit some time later. We carried on with our day, and went from plan to plan until it was closer to night time. When it came time to visit that investigator we planned, for some reason we were not able to. So, we went with the backup plan. On our way there, we contact a man and began talking to him. As we continued talking, it turned out that he was the husband we had tried to go see. We spoke with him a bit, but he was not very interested. Even with that, I left pretty content - we had been able to see the workings of the Lord in our work (like the third time for me, overtly in such a manner). We ended up seeing them later too (the next day or so). Even if we just planted some seeds, or even if they never ever come to the gospel, it serves as a testimony to us, to me, of this work. The Lord really does inspire and guide us, He puts the means there to help His children return to Him. If nothing else happens with them, I had a good experience with it.

We had a few people come to Church for the first time this week, that was good. One is a young man who has never been able to come, but this week he did. Another was a man whom we have visited, and we went with an hermano to pick him up for Church. He only stayed for the first hour, but he enjoyed it. Talked about peace, calm, or whatever. So, that was good. We have three baptisms lined up this coming weekend also.

A few weeks ago I shared with you about Elder Bednar´s talk, and the passage of scripture he quoted from the Book of Mormon, about how we can receive strength from the Grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ to help us be stronger in our trials, and overcome them, even if he doesn´t take them away right away. The text is as follows:

"And it came to pass that the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." (Mosiah 24:13-15)

This week I was in this part of the Book of Mormon in my personal study, and I read the account of Alma and his people, including these verses. However, the thing that stood out to me came just one verse after what I had shared before, and I would like the share that with you now (Mosiah 24:16):

"And it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage."

That stood out to me, and I hadn´t noticed it before, nor thought of it. With our patience, the Lord can bless us, reward us, and He wants to. They were being proven, and they passed the test, they were faithful in the midst of their problems.


We don´t tract in the mission. But we do get to leave and work (and I do like working here in the offices). From 11:00 - 2:00 I´m here working on registros, or forms, or whatever. I also put together "La Brújula" which is a sort of mini-magazine in the mission.

Sí, mi computador es mexicano, entonces es un poco distinto de un teclado de español internacional, pero más o menos me he acostumbrado. Y tu tienes que usar ALT, ¿no?

[Advice for someone headed to Mexico on a mission:] ¿qué es lo que peudo decir? No sé. Que él no se preocupe demasiado del idioma. Lo más importante is su propio testimonio y amar a la gente. Hmm. Unos consejos, al mejor: "ahorita" significa "ahora misimo" ... Y A VECES "luego." Entonces, eso puede ser un problema.... Eso por ahorita.

So, I have some good news, and some meh news - I recieved the SECOND package a few minutes ago, but the first still has not come. Don´t worry though, it could still be traveling (don´t send any copies or whatever just yet). [Actually, he received the 3rd package. The 1st and 2nd have yet to arrive there.]

No comments:

Post a Comment